- This event has passed.
Introductory Sommelier Course & Examination Day 1
October 22, 2019 | 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas has a four-level education and examination program beginning with the Introductory Sommelier Course concluding with a written theory examination.
The Introductory Sommelier Course introduces candidates to the Court of Master Sommeliers, the Court of Master Sommeliers Deductive Tasting Method and the Court of Master Sommeliers Service Standards. The Introductory Course provides a fast paced review of Theory; candidate should come prepared with theoretical knowledge of the world of wine and beverages and what is expected of a Sommelier working in the hospitality sector.
The Introductory Sommelier Course covers –
- A review of wine and beverage theory knowledge
- the Court of Master Sommeliers Deductive Tasting Method
- Wine service etiquette using the Court of Master Sommeliers Service Standards.
The Introductory Sommelier Course requires two full days commitment. It’s intense and fast paced – covering a lot of information, and by no means all, about the world of wine and other beverages. Beginning at 8:00 am and finishing around 6:00 pm both days.
At the end of day two we will invite you to take a theory examination. The good news is that all questions are multiple choice reflecting the content of the preceding two days. The pass mark for this examination and to earn the CMS Introductory Sommelier Course Certificate and lapel pin is a strict minimum 60%.
After passing the Introductory Sommelier Course Examination, you are eligible to sit the Certified Sommelier Examinations (Theory, Tasting and Service).
**Please note the following Court of Master Sommeliers Americas policy: Sommeliers holding an Introductory Sommelier Course credential have three years after passing the Introductory Examination to sit the Certified Sommelier Examinations. If this opportunity is not undertaken within the three-year window then the Introductory Sommelier Course & Examination must be re-taken. There is a reduced rate of $495.00 should this situation arise. Pricing subject to change without notice.
COST: $595.00 – REGISTER HERE
Candidates who successfully complete the Introductory Examination have achieved the following:
- Received intensive instruction over two days from a team of Master Sommeliers
- Received an overview of all the major wine growing regions of the world, as well as key information on spirits, beer, saké and correct wine service
- Passed the Introductory Sommelier written examination
- Are capable of discussing and serving with confidence a comprehensive range of beverages
- Learned the Court of Master Sommeliers ‘Deductive Tasting Method’ (DTM) from some of the best tasters in the world. The DTM is an integral part of the Certified, Advanced and Master Sommelier Diploma Examinations.
- Skills acquired during the Introductory Sommelier Course will enable Sommeliers to recognize wine quality at a basic level
- Received appropriate direction in successfully preparing for the Certified Sommelier Examination which is the pre-requisite for undertaking study for the Advanced and Master Sommelier levels.
COST: $595.00 – REGISTER HERE
Date and Time:
Tuesday, October 22nd, 2019 | 8:00AM – 6:00PM
Wednesday, October 23rd, 2019 | 8:00AM – 6:00PM
New York Kitchen
Wine Spectator Theater
800 South Main Street, Canandaigua, NY 14424
Wayne Belding, MS
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the class start time
- NYK reserves the right to ask guests that are intoxicated, behaving in an unsafe manner or that pose a risk to leave the classroom.
- NY Kitchen Cancellation Policy DOES NOT apply
- The Court of Master Sommelier Cancellation policy can be found HERE